What Are Canine (Dog) and Feline (Cat) Core Vaccines?
- Core vaccines are considered vital to all dogs and cats based on risk of exposure, severity of disease or transmissibility to humans.
- Canine parvovirus, distemper, canine hepatitis and rabies are considered core vaccines.
- Feline Herpesvirus 1, Feline Calicivirus, Feline Panleukopenia Virus and Feline Rabies Vaccines are considered core vaccines.
- Non-core vaccines are given depending on the dog’s exposure risk. These include vaccines against Bordetella bronchiseptica, Borrelia burgdorferi and Leptospira bacteria.
- Non-core vaccines for cats are Feline Leukemia Virus and Feline Bordetella bronchiseptica Vaccine
Dr. Tesecum’s website: