By-Laws for the Cayo Animal Welfare Society (CAWS)
ARTICLE I – PURPOSE/MISSION
To provide for a better life for all the domestic animals of Cayo, through education, health, and maintenance.
The activities of the Society are as follows:
- Conduct public awareness and education programs designed to create an informed and knowledgeable public. Areas to be covered will include animal care, the need to spay and neuter, parasite prevention, and prevention of animal cruelty
- Facilitate low cost spay and neuter clinics by working with local veterinarians and volunteer organizations.
- Work with local businesses for endorsement and sponsorship of Society activities.
- Facilitate the sharing of information with other animal welfare groups throughout Belize.
- Cooperate with local Government to develop a plan to trap, fix and release stray dogs and cats as a means of population control.
- Apply for and administer grants supportive of the CAWS mission
ARTICLE II – BOARD OF DIRECTOR AND ELECTIONS
The Board of Directors shall be made up of not less than five (5), nor more than nine (9) elected members. The Board of Directors shall have the right to increase this membership by formal vote.
The following positions shall make up the Board of Directors:
- Chairman, elected by majority vote of the Board
- Vice-Chair, elected by majority vote of the Board, who shall have the authority to act on behalf of the Chairman in the event of the Chair’s absence
- Secretary, elected by majority vote of the Board
- Treasurer, elected by majority vote of the Board
- Board member, elected to the Board, but not filling one of the above positions.
The Board of Directors may declare the existence of a vacancy in the Board and request a vote to replace the Board Member in question whenever:
- A Board Member resigns or fails to attend two consecutive regularly scheduled meetings (without prior notification of pending absence)
- A Board Member routinely shows up at meetings after the scheduled start time.
- The actions of a Board Member, as determined by the other Members of the Board, are consistently unproductive or contrary to the goals of the Society
Elections and Term of Elected office:
- Members of the Board of Directors shall be elected to a two (2) year term of office.
- Election is by simple majority vote of members present.
- Elections for the Board of Directors will be held at the April meeting of every other year.
- Nominations will be requested from the Membership at the April meeting and voting will take place immediately after nominations close.
- New Board Members will take up their position at the next scheduled meeting.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Membership is open to any interested party willing to work towards the Mission of the Cayo Animal Welfare Society.
- Membership is due annually, and payable to the treasurer.
- Membership is due the month of joining, and on the anniversary thereafter.
- The Board of Directors has the right to change the dues structure by formal Board action.
- The Chairman may request a membership be revoked and call for a vote by the Board of Directors when:
- A member resigns or
- The actions of a member, as determined by the Chair and a majority of Board of Directors, are consistently unproductive or contrary to the goals of the Society.
- Dues will not be refunded
- Members may nominate themselves or other members to the Board of Directors
- Members will be formally recognized on the CAWS website, Facebook Page, and other literature as appropriate.
- Members will be given volunteer opportunities commensurate with the goals and activities of the Society.
- Members will be invited to participate in general meetings. Attendance is not mandatory.
- The Board of Directors can add other benefits by formal action as necessary.
ARTICLE IV – ENDORSEMENT and SPONSORSHIP
Endorsement of the Society and its activities will be solicited from local businesses and community leaders. Endorsement is defined as supporting the Mission of CAWS and promoting the activities by any means available. Those businesses and individuals formally endorsing the Society shall be named on literature developed, website, Facebook page and other materials as appropriate.
Sponsorship will be solicited as well. Sponsorship is defined as providing monetary support and/or in-kind contributions of goods or facilities for activities of the Society.
ARTICLE V – MEETINGS
General Meetings :
- Shall be scheduled by the Board of Directors and be considered publicly open meetings.
- Shall be held quarterly in January, April, July and October
- Shall not be subject to a quorum
Board of Director’s Meetings :
- Shall be held monthly unless changed by formal action by the Board of Directors.
- Shall be considered closed meetings or by invitation.
- A quorum shall be 51% of Board members present.
Meeting Notifications :
- All regularly scheduled meetings shall be noticed by email to all Members and via posting on the Cayo Animal Welfare Society website and FaceBook page, no later than 48 hours prior to the meeting.
- The Board of Directors shall provide coordination support for the Society including notifications, staff support, and record keeping for all meetings.
- Special meetings may be called by the Chair, or in the absence of the Chair by the Vice- Chair. Notice shall be by phone, email, website and FB posting.
ARTICLE VI – SUB-COMMITTEES
Sub-committees may be established, as the need arises, by a majority of the Board of Directors present.
Individuals with particular expertise, and/or consultants who are recognized by the Board of Directors, can participate in sub-committee activities as technical advisors regardless of Society membership. They would not, however, have voting rights for Society affairs.
ARTICLE VII – BYLAWS
These Bylaws may be amended through a process by which the proposed changes are distributed in writing to the Board and then adopted by majority vote.
APPROVED AND ADOPTED BY THE CAYO ANIMAL WELFARE SOCIETY:
22 September, 2014
REVIEWED AND APPROVED:12 October 2016
REVIEWED AND APPROVED: (This space saved for future amendments and reviews)